.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wit and Wisdom for a One Party State

A handbook for government by wishful thinking

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lie, v. To float an outlier in the marketplace of ideas.

1899 A BIERCE "I am relating these things exactly as they occurred. It would be very easy to make a fine story out of all this material --to tell how that, while I was engaged in lightening the ship, I was touched by the self-sacrificing spirit of a beautiful young woman, who, to save the life of her lover, pushed her aged mother forward to where I was operating, imploring me to take the old lady, but spare, O, spare her dear Henry. I might go on to set forth how that I not only did take the old lady, as requested, but immediately seized dear Henry, and sent him flying as far as I could to leeward, having first broken his back across the rail and pulled a double-fistful of his hair out. I might proceed to state that, feeling appeased, I then stole the long boat and taking the beautiful maiden pulled away from the ill-fated ship to the church of St. Massaker, Fiji, where we were united by a knot that I afterward untied with my teeth by eating her. But, in truth, nothing of all this occurred, and I can not afford to be the first writer to lie just to interest the reader."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home